Family Based GC2018-03-12T23:49:00+00:00

Family Based Visa

Our Approach to Processing an Immediate Relative Petition

We are very selective when representing clients who wish to petition on the basis of a relationship as an immediate relative. Personalized service and individual attention is key to processing immediate relative petitions. We work with clients to ensure family unity is preserved and the best interest of the immigrating relative is served during the petitioning process. Contact Us for more information.

It is important to understand that the principal objective of the Immigration and Nationality Act is “Family Unity.” High priority is assigned to this very important objective and family members of United States citizens and Permanent Residents are treated with special consideration. In fact, no numerical limitations are placed on the immigration of immediate relatives of U.S. citizens. “Immediate Relatives,” include spouses and children of U.S. citizens, parents of adult U.S. citizens, and certain widows and widowers of deceased citizens and their children.

People who want to become immigrants are classified into categories based on a ‘preference’ system. The immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, which includes parents, spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21, do not have to wait for an immigrant visa number to become available once the visa petition filed for them is approved by the USCIS. An immigrant visa number will be immediately available for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens. The relatives in the remaining categories must wait for an immigrant visa number to become available according to the following preferences:

First Preference: Unmarried, adult [21 years of age or older] sons and daughters of U.S. citizens.
Second Preference: Spouses of lawful permanent residents, their unmarried children [under 21], and the unmarried sons and daughters of lawful permanent residents.
Third Preference: Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens.
Fourth Preference: Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens.

Sponsorship Eligibility

To be eligible to sponsor a relative to immigrate to the United States you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must be a citizen or a lawful permanent resident of the United States and be able to provide documentation proving your status.
  • You must prove that you can support your relative at 125% above the mandated poverty line.

If you are a US Citizen you may petition for the following foreign national relatives to immigrate to the United States; however you must be able to provide proof of the relationships:

  • Husband or wife;
  • Unmarried child under 21 years old;
  • Unmarried son or daughter over 21;
  • Married son or daughter of any age;
  • Brother or sister, if you are at least 21 years old; or
  • Parent, if you are at least 21 years old.

If you are a lawful permanent resident you may petition for the following foreign national relatives to immigrate to the United States; however you must be able to provide proof of the relationships:

  • Husband or wife; or

Unmarried son or daughter of any age.

Question on PR status and travel2018-03-02T22:12:01+00:00

We got our greencards in 2007 thanks goes to you for this. My Son turned 15 and I’ve read that “children who reach 14 must file an application to replace their green card”. We leave to go to Australia on Vacation in 65 Days. Is there enough time to do this? Is the current card still Valid until the new card is issued? Can I just apply when we get back from our Vacation?

The I-90, Application to Replace PR Card receipt should be temporary proof of PR status. Additionally, you could go to the local Office of the USCIS and obtain a temporary stamp evidencing PR status that will allow you to travel abroad.

Misc Family Based Application Questions2018-03-02T22:11:15+00:00

Right now the visa bulletin shows the current date as Jan 2010 for Family-Based 2A category. Dose that mean If anyone filing I-130 & I-485 for spouse will be getting GC with in a year ? When can a GC holder file I-130 & I 485 for spouse ? After filing I-130 & I 485 for spouse, Will Spouse get eligibility to stay in US ?

You would be able to file an Immigrant Petition for an Immediate Relative immediately. However, the application to adjust status would have to be filed after the priority date (date of filing of the immigrant petition) is current on the visa bulletin.

What financial information should we submit along with the Affidavit of Support? My spouse has no education – will that matter?2018-03-02T22:10:23+00:00

Consulates may seek additional documentation and you may have to produce them. The additional documents could range from title/mortgage documents showing property owned to recent bank statements showing the availability of immediate funds. As mentioned in an earlier answer to a similar question, more is always better in these instances.
The lack of education may pose a problem in the Consulate’s assessment of the future prospects of your husband finding a job in the U.S. The Consul may perceive the lack of education as a disqualifying factor from that point of view. Demonstrating experience, skills and the ability to find a job in the U.S. is imperative.
I strongly recommend that you collect and produce documentation of financial ability to support yourself and your new husband in the U.S.

My friend and his wife have some differences. However, they were married in good faith and he obtained a Conditional Green Card. Can he now obtain his Green Card if their marriage ends in divorce?2018-03-02T22:09:41+00:00

Unfortunately, your friend has the onerous task of overcoming a presumption in the law that allows married citizens to obtain a Green Card [Alien Registration Card] in the first place. The presumption is that all marriages are ‘sham’ marriages, unless proved otherwise. The two-year conditional permanent residence is a probationary period and the marriage must last beyond this period for the individual to be entitled to Permanent Resident status in the United States [the card itself is valid for 10 years and is renewable]. It is imperative that the marriage lasts beyond the two-year period for your young friend to stay here permanently.

What is the maximum stay allowed for stay outside U.S for Green Card Holders with out obtaining the Re-Entry Permit.2018-03-02T22:08:59+00:00

Permanent residents are required to maintain permanent residence in the U.S. Any absence abroad that extends beyond six months raises the presumption that the Green Card holder has abandoned his or her permanent residence in the U.S. The Green Card holder then has the burden of overcoming this presumption when he/she attempts to re enter the United States after a long absence.

How do I file Applications for Adjustment of Status while NVC has Immigrant Petition?2018-03-02T22:08:17+00:00

You should now notify the NVC that your parents are in the U.S. and will adjust status here. This can be done via email (, or by means of a letter. You should then proceed to file Applications to Adjust Status after waiting to ensure there is no conflict with their visitor status.

What Happens if Spouse is not Included in I-485 Adjustment? Will Filing an I-130 Grant Status to Remain in the US?2018-03-02T22:06:51+00:00

The I-485 for the spouse can and will be adjudicated only if dates are current, which would immediately allow the principal to file a dependent application to adjust status. Also, the spouse would be able to accompany/join the principal if her name was included in the I-140, or the marriage happened prior to adjudication. Filing an I-130 would certainly be possible if this is being done after the fact. However, this does not grant the H-4 spouse status to remain in the U.S. Other options may be available. Please contact our Office for an appointment to discuss this matter in greater detail.

Delay in filing application to remove condition – Family based application2018-03-02T22:05:36+00:00

As long as it is receipted prior to the date of expiration of green card, your wife should not have any issues. Not filing a removal of condition application could lead to an automatic revocation.

Are children under the age of 15 applying for a green card required to pass an HIV test as part of their obligatory physical examination?2018-03-02T22:04:53+00:00

All visa applicants are required to complete a medical examination. HIV testing is now required of all applicants. Infection with the HIV virus is a ground for exclusion from the U.S., although a waiver may be available.

I have a sister living in Peru. I want to sponsor her. What are my options?2018-03-02T22:04:05+00:00

There are three options available. 1) Marriage to a U.S. citizen, or 2) An Employment based petition to sponsor her as an immigrant and finally 3) A petition for immediate relative.

What is “Follow to Join”? Who can qualify for it?2018-03-02T22:03:11+00:00

“Follow to Join” is a term of art. Your spouse and children are eligible for “derivative status” – visas given to spouse and children who accompany the principal beneficiary, or enter the U.S. If the entry is within 4 months of the principal beneficiary’s entry or appearance at a consulate abroad, then they are supposed to be following to join the principal beneficiary in the U.S.

I filed a Green Card petition for my mother. The Service wants additional information. How do I find out what is happening with my application and how long will it take?2018-03-02T22:02:23+00:00
I am a U.S. citizen. I want to apply for a Green Card for my parents. How long do they have to remain here to maintain their GC status?2018-03-02T22:01:37+00:00

Permanent residents are required to maintain a permanent residence in the U.S. Any absence abroad that extends beyond six months raises the presumption that the Green Card holder has abandoned his or her permanent residence in the U.S. The Green Card holder then has the burden of overcoming this presumption when they attempt to re enter the United States after a long absence. I foresee problems when your parents attempt to return at the end of each absence, unless they obtain permission [in the form of a re entry permit] prior to departure.

I will be going for my US Naturalization oath ceremony soon. I would like to bring my fiance to US after our marriage. What visa do I need to apply for her and what paper work needs to be completed?2018-03-12T23:37:20+00:00

There is an entire process involved and would require you to file an Immigrant Petition (I-130) and process an Immigrant Visa Application with the National Visa Center. The USCIS website has an excellent overview of the process. See: Alternatively, you could engage a Law Firm to take care of the paperwork.

Green card

Dear Vaman,
I would like to express my sincere appreciation for your efforts. Despite the charged environment, thanks to you, my mother has been approved for permanent residency within seven months of her application. My sister has received the notification from your office that they have received her green card.

— Raj, USA, E-mail

Family Based GC – Citizen Sponsoring Parent

Her interview went smoothly and they verbally told us that she is approved and to expect the green card in the mail in a week or two.

Thank you very much for all your help.

It has been pleasure working with you.

— Nirmala, USA, E-mail

Citizenship of my parents

Dear Mr. Kidambi,

Wanted to inform you that both my parents took their naturalization oath and are now US Citizens.

Thanks a lot for their application filing, much appreciated.

— Sunit, USA, E-mail

Family Based Green Card

We had a wonderful interview – everything went great!!

Thank you for all of your help!!  — Kate, USA, E-mail

Family Based Green Card

Mr. Kidambi –

Mother received her green card by mail a couple of days back. I want to thank you and your team for a smooth and efficient handling of the application process. My mother, sister and I are really happy with your efficiency and professionalism.

Thank you,


Family Based; Citizen sponsoring spouse

Thank you for all of your help and please thank Mr. Kidambi as well. We appreciated the helpful conference calls and interview prep and although the interview did not include many detailed questions, We felt confident and prepared.

Thanks again,

Moorthy, USA, E-mail

Immigration of U.S. Citizen Spouse

Yesterday morning at Mumbai US Consular office, post interview my spouse was told that her immigrant visa has been approved. Vaman, I really appreciate your call and guiding us with the interview tips. Please accept our sincere gratitude for your help and support.
Thank you all very much for your excellent services.

Green Card Approved

Glad to inform you that I received my Green Card last week. Thanks and appreciate all your help to get this card.

— Suresh, USA, E-mail

More Testimonials
Go to Top