The P-1 classification applies to an individual coming to the U.S. temporarily to perform at a specific athletic competition as an athlete, individually or as part of a group or team, at an internationally recognized level of performance.
Our approach to processing P-1 Visas
We generally work with the Petitioner to provide them with an extensive checklist of documents and sample letters required to process a P Petition.
The typical documentation required to process a petition is as follows:
- A written advisory opinion from an appropriate labor organization
- A copy of the contract with a major U.S. sports league or team or a contract in an individual sport commensurate with international recognition in the sport, if such contracts are normally utilized in the sport;
- Copies of evidence of at least two of the following:
- Significant participation in a prior season with a major United States sports league;
- Participation in international competition with a national team;
- Significant participation in a prior season for a U.S. college or university in intercollegiate competition
- A written statement from an official of the governing body of the sport which details how the alien or team is internationally recognized;
- A written statement from a member of the sports media or a recognized expert in the sport which details how the alien or team is internationally recognized;
- The individual or team is ranked, if the sport has international rankings; or
- The alien or team has received a significant honor or award in the sport.