You could certainly seek change of status through an H-1B petitioner upon entry into the U.S. The key is to file a petition for the change with the USCIS before the H-1B CAP is reached. Check CAP related information at The H-1B petition must be filed by an employer in the U.S. So, your first task upon entry would be to find qualifying employment in a specialty occupation (requiring the minimum of a bachelor’s degree for entry into the occupation).