Unfortunately, crewmen are not able to apply to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to change status, adjust status, or extend their stay in the U.S., under immigration law. Overstaying comes with added complications. You are not eligible for adjustment in your situation. Leaving the country for an F-1 (requires nonimmigrant intent and the immigrant petition filed by your mother doesn’t help) may additionally subject you to a 10-year bar.