The I-485 for the spouse can and will be adjudicated only if dates are current, which would immediately allow the principal to file a dependent application to adjust status. Also, the spouse would be able to accompany/join the principal if her name was included in the I-140, or the marriage happened prior to adjudication. Filing an I-130 would certainly be possible if this is being done after the fact. However, this does not grant the H-4 spouse status to remain in the U.S. Other options may be available. Please contact our Office for an appointment to discuss this matter in greater detail.