Leaving the U.S. for over 6 months while you’re a permanent resident, raises the presumption that you have abandoned your status. You must file and obtain a “Re Entry Permit” prior to departure in order to be allowed to return without any issues. We also recommend that you consider filing an Application to preserve your residence for Naturalization purposes.