Unlike most government agencies, USCIS is fee funded. Fees collected and deposited into the Immigration Examinations Fee Account fund nearly 97% of USCIS’ budget.
- As required by federal law, USCIS conducted a comprehensive biennial fee review and determined that current fees do not recover the cost of providing adjudication and naturalization services. Under a new final rule published August 3rd, DHS is adjusting USCIS fees by a weighted average increase of 20% to help recover its operational costs.
- The adjustments include fee increases for both H, O and L fees by 21%, 53% and 75% respectively. The highest increase is for L petitions with the fee going up from $460 to $805
- The rule accounts for increased costs to adjudicate immigration benefit requests, detect and deter immigration fraud, and thoroughly vet applicants, petitioners and beneficiaries. The rule also supports payroll, technology and operations to accomplish the USCIS mission. The rule removes certain fee exemptions, includes new nominal fees for asylum applicants, and reduces fee waivers to help recover the costs of adjudication
- For a full list of changes and a complete table of final fees, see the final rule (PDF).
- This final rule is effective Oct. 2, 2020. Any application, petition, or request postmarked on or after this date must include payment of the new, correct fees established by this final rule.
Please see table below for a few select fees:
|Form Number/Purpose||Current USCIS Fee||New USCIS Fee||Difference $||Approximate
|Some Employment Based Services|
|I-129 (E, TN, MISC)||$460||$695||$235||51%|
|I-907 (Premium Processing)||$1,440||$1,440||No Change||No Change|
|I-539 (Dependents) + Biometrics||$370 + $85||$400 + $30||-$25||-5%|
|I-140 (Immigrant Petition)||$700||$555||-$145||-21%|
|I-485 (Application to Adjust Status) + Biometrics||$1,140 + $85||$1130 + $30||$-65||-5%|
|I-765 (Employment Authorization)||$410||$550||$140||34%|
|I-131 (Advance Parole/Travel Doc)||$575||$590||$15||3%|
|Some Family Based Services|
|I-129 F (Petition for Fiancé(e))||$535||$510||-$25||-5%|
|I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative)||$535||$560||$25||5%|
|I-751 (Petition to Remove Condition)||$595||$760||$165||28%|
|I-90 (Application to Replace GC)||$455||$415||-$40||-9%|
|I-290B (Notice of Appeal/MTR)||$675||$700||$25||4%|
|N-400 (Naturalization + Biometrics)||$725||$1,200||$475||65%|